Sep 21, 2009

Sleepy time!

Exhausted, I throw my keys on the floor, upon entering my flat

I kick my boots to the wall, not checking to see where the cat is

Both miss, thankfully, but she nearly hit the ceiling from the abrupt impact

I flop onto my mattress in the back room; taking my clothes off standing up would take

Too much effort. Wriggling out of them was more fun anyways

Somewhere on the bed was a wayward crumb, which found its way into my hair.

Thinking it was a tick, I pulled it out and flicked it towards the bathroom

“Tomorrow,” I murmured “I’ll flush you”

You didn’t have to tell me

To shut my eyes. I knew exactly how to sleep

Sometimes, we know better than other nights

Above me, a strange buzzing noise grew out of the mortar and PVC

My upstairs neighbor’s phone was on vibrate

And it wasn’t long until I heard him frantically searching for it

A chuckle escaped my parched mouth,

Picturing this Orson Welles of a man

Hustling to some rogue caller

“It’s under your chair,” I whispered “You know, the one you can’t get out of anymore”

Lulled by his conversation

Which was muffled by the insulation

I drifted off to sleep

Tomorrow

Would be

Another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment